Sermon Notes: 24 Sept 2022
2 Tim 3:16-17 (nlt)
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
Romans 10:17 (nkjv)
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
How to improve your hearing of God’s Word.
1. Be READY and EAGER to hear God
Luke 8:8b (nkjv) (Jesus) “…He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”
Psalm 119:103 (nkjv) How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!
2. Deal with ATTITUDES that prevent you from hearing God’s Word
Luke 8:18a (nlt) So pay attention to how you hear…
Closed Mind – Superficial Mind – Preoccupied Mind
3. CONFESS any sin in your life
James 1:21 (nlt) So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls.
4. Take NOTES on what you hear
Hebrews 2:1 (nlt) So we must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it.
5. ACT on what you hear
James 1:22 (nlt) But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.
James 1:25 (nlt) But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I READ GOD’S WORD? DAILY!
Rev. 1:3 (gnt) Happy is the one who reads this book … and obeys what is written in it!”
Deut. 17:19 (nlt) He must always keep that copy (Scripture) with him and read it daily as long as he lives. That way he will learn to fear the Lord his God by obeying all the terms of these instructions and decrees.
HOW TO BEGIN YOUR BIBLE STUDY TIME
Step 1: Select a specific TIME
Step 2: Choose a specific PLACE.
Step 3: PRAY
Step 4: Gather the RESOURCES you will need
BIBLE – FOUNDATIONS BOOK – JOURNAL
Use the HEAR method:
HIGHLIGHT – the verses that speak to you
EXPLAIN – what the passage means
APPLY – what God is saying in these verses to your life
RESPOND – to what you’ve read
Study as Individuals, Couples, Families, V-Groups
Study as Individuals, Married Couples, Families, or V-Groups!
V-GROUPS available for you:
- Sunday 6:30 PM – Victory Church – Led by Adam Evans
- Monday 6:30 PM – Victory Church – Led by Seeking Sisters Ladies Ministry
- Tuesday 11:00 AM – Connection Cafe’ – Led by Pastor Jon
- Tuesday 7:00 PM – Mascoutah – Led by Paul Boyer
- Thursday 6:30 PM – Belleville – Led by Patty Mullins
- Friday 7:00 PM – O’Fallon – Led by Amanda Stemple
- Saturday 6:30 PM – Connection Cafe’ – Led by Eddie Verlander